What is BS EN ISO 22313:2020 about?
This international standard explains and clarifies the meaning of the requirements in BS EN ISO 22301 which specifies how to set up and manage an effective Business Continuity Management System (BCMS). BS EN ISO 22313:2020 can also help resolve issues of interpretation.
Who is BS EN ISO 22313:2020 for?
- Senior business managers
- Continuity, risk and resilience managers and officers in all types of organizations
- Continuity, resilience, risk and change management industries
- Quality management industry
- Local government personnel with continuity responsibilities under the CCA
Why should you use BS EN ISO 22313:2020?
This international standard provides guidance and recommendations for applying the requirements found in the business continuity management system standard BS EN ISO 22301. It applies to organizations that:
- Implement, maintain and improve a BCMS
- Need to be able to continue to deliver products and services at an acceptable predefined capacity during a disruption
- Want to ensure conformity with stated business continuity policy
- Want to enhance their resilience through the effective application of the BCMS
The guidance and recommendations in BS EN ISO 22313:2020 apply to all sizes and types of organizations, operating in industrial, commercial, public and not-for-profit sectors.
A Business Continuity Management System (BCMS) increases the preparedness of organizations to continue to operate during disruptions. It also deepens the organization’s understanding of internal and external relationships; improves communication with interested parties; and creates a continual improvement environment.
BCMS implementations can:
- Protect life, assets and the environment
- Protect and enhance the organization’s reputation and credibility
- Contribute to the organization’s competitive advantage by enabling it to operate during disruptions
- Reduce costs arising from disruptions and improve the organization’s capability to remain effective during them
- Contribute to the organization’s overall organizational resilience
- Give interested parties more confidence in the organization’s success
- Reduce the organization’s legal and financial exposure
- Demonstrate the organization’s ability to manage risk and operational vulnerabilities.
What’s new about BS EN ISO 22313:2020?
This second edition cancels and replaces the first edition (BS ISO 22301:2012), which has been technically revised. The main changes compared with the previous edition are:
- It now conforms to ISO’s requirements for management system standards, which have evolved since 2012
- Requirements have been clarified, with no new requirements added
- Discipline-specific business continuity requirements are now almost entirely within section 8
- Section 8 (Operations) has been restructured to provide clearer understanding of the key requirements
- A number of discipline-specific business continuity terms have been modified to improve clarity and reflect current thinking.