This week we thought it would be interesting to see how good Google Bard is at writing bulletins. We gave Google Bard the subject of MGM Resorts’ recent cyber attack, take a look at what it wrote for us – see what you think!
On Sunday, September 11th 2023, MGM Resorts International, the world’s largest casino company, was hit by a cyber attack that crippled its operations across the United States. The attack affected the company’s hotels, casinos, and other businesses, causing widespread disruption for customers and employees.
Here are some of the issues that customers experienced as a result of the attack:
- Slot machines and ATMs were down, making it difficult to gamble or withdraw money.
- Hotel room doors could not be opened with key cards, forcing guests to wait in line for assistance.
- Restaurant reservations could not be made, and food deliveries were delayed.
- The company’s website and customer service lines were also down, making it difficult to get information or assistance.
- MGM Resorts responded to the attack by shutting down its systems and bringing in outside experts to investigate. The company also offered refunds to customers who were affected.
The lesson for businesses from the MGM Grand cyber attack is that no company is immune to a cyber attack. Even large, well-resourced companies like MGM can be targeted. Businesses need to have strong cyber security measures in place to protect themselves from attack.
Here are some specific steps that businesses can take to improve their cyber security:
- Implement a layered security approach that includes firewalls, intrusion detection systems, and data encryption.
- Train employees on cybersecurity best practices.
- Keep software up to date with the latest security patches.
- Back up data regularly.
- Have a plan in place to respond to a cyber attack.
The MGM Grand cyber attack is a reminder that businesses need to take cyber security seriously. By taking steps to improve their security posture, businesses can help to protect themselves from the financial and reputational damage that can result from a cyber attack.
In addition to the above, businesses can also learn from the way that MGM Resorts handled the aftermath of the attack. The company was transparent with customers about what had happened and what it was doing to fix the problem. It also offered refunds and other compensation to those who were affected. This showed that MGM Resorts was committed to putting its customers first, even in the midst of a crisis.
By following these steps, businesses can help to mitigate the risk of a cyber attack and protect their customers, employees, and bottom line.